Leafy greens may contain Listeria!

If you shop at a Whole Foods Market, Costco, Acme, or Hannaford throw out your leafy greens.  Do not take the chance of being exposed to the deadly bacterium Listeria monocytogenes.  Areas in Conneticut, New Jersey and New York, with dates from June 3rd to June 19th 2019.

A Consumer Report just took 284 samples and tested them.  Six of the samples purchased at these stores were contaminated. Two of the samples were from packaged pre-washed greens, a spinach and a spring mix.  The other four were from loose heads or bunches.

Now, if you are as paranoid as me you by the triple washed then when you get home wash them again.  I stopped buying the bagged greens long ago.  For me it seemed like they went bad quicker and there were always recalls on them.  So I switched to the plastic container greens which do last longer but I was still not quite satisfied.  Now I buy the triple wash organic.  Can those still get contaminated? Of course, at this point anything can.  But I do find them to have a better clean taste.  I know greens having a "clean taste" sounds crazy.  I have literally had my friends try a taste test and the organic triple wash wins every time.

Now you know my favorite cold greens let's get back to Listeria. Did you know that there is no sign or symptom on the green to let you know it may be contaminated?  You cannot smell Listeria Mom.  The amazing fact that it can take up to 70 days after exposure to Listeria for symptoms to occur! Yes take a moment...70. INSANE!  Symptoms can include:

  • Vomiting
  • Nausea
  • Persistent Fever
  • Muscle Aches
  • Sever Headaches
  • Neck Stiffness
Now that you have read the list of symptoms I am sure you are like me thinking that sounds like a lot of things could cause those symptoms.  You are right.  So if you think you have been exposed to Listeria you have to tell your doctor specifically to test for it, otherwise they will treat the symptoms like any other kind of bacteria.

Subscribe to my blog and stay up to date on the latest food safety news.  For more information about getting ServSafe certified feel free to contact me at parksservsafe@gmail.com or use the blog contact form.


Comments

Popular Posts