Do you check your freezer for recalls?

I was reading recalls this morning, as many of you should, and saw that today's recall is on catfish.  But not from your refrigerator, from your freezer.  There is a great site I use to get updates regularly, www.foodsafetynews.com.  I highly recommend adding your email to their news letter. 

The recall is from Premium Foods USA Inc. from March 26, 2018 to March 8, 2019.

This got me wondering how many of you check food in your freezer?  I am sure like most of us you look for the date on the package and try to eat before the expiration.  But when we freeze it says to "freeze by" date.  

How long does it need to sit in the freezer before it spoils? 

Well the rule is that if it is frozen properly it will preserve and not spoil.  You do have to make sure that you take all of the air out of the packaging to prevent freezer burn.  I would still suggest labeling a frozen date with a sharpe.  

Still the big question is, do you check your frozen food for recalls?  Click the link to answer.

Shot in the dark I bet a huge percentage of you do not.  WHY? Food safety is extremely important.  Checking the recalls is a consumer responsibility to prevent your family from illnesses.  I know, I know, if you do look at the recalls like I do the list can be kind of lengthy.  Which scares me that our food industry is not taking their packaging and distribution more seriously.  If you read the article the company did not re-inspect the fish when imported.  The recalls were distributed to Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Michigan, New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania.  So if you live in any of those states and have some catfish in your freezer you might want to go check.

Again people let's protect each and make sure our factories such as packaging and distribution centers are using checks and balances in place.  Being ServSafe and HAACP certified is very important.  Do you have procedures and people in place to guarantee your companies safety? I hope so...

If you do need to get certified in ServSafe let me know at parksservsafe@gmail.com

Remember when it comes to food let's be proactive not reactive.





Image

https://www.tatacliq.com/voltas-205-ltr-single-door-horizontal-chest-freezer-white/p-mp000000000314533

Comments

Popular Posts